Monday, September 12, 2011

What do I Write?

I have been struggling to post new entries here as I just don't what would interest you about farm living. I am going to guess you either know us and want to see what we are up to. or you may want to be a fellow refugee to a more gentle life. And so, if you are reading this you are stuck with what I want to tell you!

We have been very busy out here in the sticks. It's Spring you see and lots of good things happen in Spring on a farm. Hens start laying eggs every day with a lot of fanfare in some cases. Mostly our 5 have been good girls and have laid them in their house. Someone has decided not to for the last 2 days and so we have been hunting eggs all over. These girls get around too. They follow us all over the yard and even down to the veggie garden. We haven't found them but the dogs may have beaten us to them.
Can you see how big the 80g egg is? Eish- now wonder all the squawking! And we are so sick of eggs. At least I have a great cake which uses 8 at a time. We will never go hungry out here.

We have also been preparing a new field in mounds so I can plant the seeds I have been collecting for so long. I have 8 differnt types of tomatoes in trays already and I think I still have 4 more to go. That's besides all the other things from lime basil to pineapple tops to watercress to purple carrots. Hopefully I will have a really nice spread to show you soon.

I have a  mantra too- when at a loss, make compost. The oak tree has dropped lots of leaves so I collected these today to go into a long-term compost heap. Oak are not the best leaves for quick growth until they are well rotted. All the chicken house straw and scrapings go in this pile to chase it along.

As well as all the digging (ouch I can't get out of bed) and carting compost, manure and lime, we have been cleaning up the water furrow behind our house. There was a downed tree there over the furrow and it took quite a bit of chainsaw cutting and clearing to get it sorted.

It's a very pretty spot so we decided to make a nice path and throw out lots of flower seeds along the edges. Of course in clearing we found some new friends- a meduim-sized puff adder and a 40cm night adder. We were so chuffed with the the night adder as it was our first and such a pretty snake. We found them new homes and got on with our work.
All the cleared material we shredded and put onto the path and it really is looking nice. After a bit of rain, it will be such a great spot to sit and read.

Granny has been a super-gran- working in the veggie garden every day, pulling out wattle trees in the new picnic area and just generally helping everywhere. Not bad for a 70 year old lady! She is as tough as old boots and I hope I'll be just like her at 70.

We may be supplying seed to a small seed company and so we went off to harvest some stinging nettles- with Jan's welding gloves! Those buggers sting and I managed to flick plants back into my chin several times. A lot of blue air was hanging around! BTW, Max took this photo. He is growing up so fast now. Those first 2 years dragged but now he is a lot of fun- if 2 handfuls!

3 comments:

  1. Sue - I find that if I try and write as though I am having a conversation with someone, the words flow easier LOL And what interests me "must" interest someone who is following my blog - otherwise they wouldn't...

    That puffy looks huge - how do you / Jan know how to pick it up? Never seen a night adder either.

    Aren't those wattles the worst. Their seeds sprout everywhere! Gran can come our way when she's finished with yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw, what would a seed company use stinging nettle seeds for???? Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dani, Not our biggest puffie. I think it was number 6 and the first we found was HUGE- thicker than my arm and about 1m long.
    We looked into bought "snake tongs" but they cost a bomb. We find puffies easy to pick up because of their big heads. I have a slippery rope in a noose and we coax the snake into the loop and catch it just behind the head. Press gently with a forked stick behind the rope and then it's easy to pick up. Small ones are tricky but if you have a dark box a nudge it from behind it will run for cover in the dark space.
    I think we will all work all our lives to harvest the wattles we have. But we do see them as an ongoing harvest and replant other trees along the way.
    They sell the nettle seed on to others to grow for their own consumption. Very good food- for humans and plants.

    ReplyDelete

Plastering and more

Sorry for the lack of progress reports but here are a few pictures to show where we are now. The internal walls are drywall on timber frames...